7/24/10

Guest Blog: My Citi Field experience

This guest blog was written by Jeremy Schilling, who has his own sports, Bruce Springsteen, Tiger Woods (and other things) blog here.  Enjoy.

My dad and I went to Citi Field way back on May 9 when they faced the San Francisco Giants. It was cold. And it was windy. For anyone living in this area you may remember that May featured a bunch of those chilly, windy days. It was my first time in Citi Field, and I was anxious to see what it looked like after hearing rave reviews.

(Oh, wait, I need to add a disclaimer here. I'm a big Tiger Woods fan...this was the Sunday of The Players Championship, and while waiting for the game to start, I got word that Tiger had withdrew due to a neck injury. Whether that impacted my view of Citi Field is up for debate.)

(Oh, and the other disclaimer. Oliver Perez was on the mound. And if you hadn't already heard, he's HORRIBLE. So what should have been a nice quick baseball game went on for about 4 hours. Whether that impacted my view of Citi Field is also up for debate.)

Anyways, the stadium is awesome. The big Jackie Robinson Rotunda is very nice looking, the wide concourses were great, and the food offerings for lunch were plentiful and very nice. Also, the enhanced, detail-driven scoreboards fit nicely in the stadium and with the modern day, young fan.

What I didn't like was the lack of warm desert options (where are the nice, warm Mrs. Field's cookies on a cold day...or DONUTS from Dunkin' Donuts! I hate when stadiums just put DD coffee but not donuts in there.) Also, the lines at the Shake Shack were very long, and the stadium wasn't even close to being sold out!

I guess the bottom line is that I need to return to Citi Field on a warm day, with a sold out crowd to get a true sense of the atmosphere and when Oliver Perez doesn't pitch....but so far, so good from my perspective.

Thanks, JSchil.

If you would like to submit your own guest blog, e-mail me at TheRopolitans@gmail.com.