7/6/10

A letter from Zack Hample

Last week, I wrote this about Zack Hample.  He saw, read and responded.  His e-mail is below as I felt it should be shared with you.
Hey. 
Just saw your blog entry about me. Thanks for not being completely negative, but I'd still like to point out a few things you may have missed:
1) My life's work is not catching baseballs. I'm a baseball writer. My third book is being published next year.
2) I give away lots of balls to kids, and I've helped countless others snag balls for themselves. Here's some mail I've received from grateful fans.
3) For the last two seasons, I've been using my baseball collection to raise money for a children's baseball charity. Click here to learn more. Last year alone, I raised over $10,000.
4) Even if I were to catch 1,000 home runs during games, the 1,001st would still be an incredible thrill. Yeah, I've "been there before," but my reaction is one of pure joy and excitement. I don't sell these balls. I just love the sport, and I love being a part of it, if only as a spectator. I also love beating the odds. That, to me, is what it's all about, and it'll never get old.
Hope that gives you a better idea of who I am and why I do this.
Leave your thoughts in the comments...