3/23/11

Roster speculation, or lack thereof

For the past few season, while I’ve penned this blog, spring training was usually spent guessing, posturing and wondering who was going to make the Mets opening day roster.

And it wasn’t only me. Most blogs were filled with talk of “Who will make the team?” and “Which players won’t make the cut?”

This season, though, I don’t get the same vibe. And I think I know why.

Outside of the always-up-in-the-air bullpen and the battle for second base, everything seems in place. There are no fringe players trying to make the 25-man roster. There are no has-beens over-performing in Port St. Lucie, challenging the younger guys for a spot. The roster – for the most part – is set in most fans eyes.

And I think that credit should go to Sandy Alderson & Co.

For the last few years, many fans – including myself – loved to second-guess each and every Omar Minaya move. I remember being dead-set against Fernando Tatis the first season Omar signed him. He surprised pretty much everyone, and had a great year.

But now, I trust Alderson and his brain trust. I don’t have to second-guess his moves. He’s made them all right, so far: cutting Oliver Perez and Luis Castillo. He (working with Terry Collins) has kept the players that might have a chance to make the team with the big club, getting at bats and being able to show their talent in the field.

But I’m not worried about who will end up on the team come April, because I trust the moves Sandy & Co. will make. I’m sure they’re going to make the right call for the arms coming out of the pen. They seem to have made the right call on who will be completing the infield.

Everything is falling nicely into place. It’s a lot less strain on my Mets-psyche as spring marches on and I’m ready for baseball to start, without much hesitation.

Thanks, Sandy. My blood pressure thanks you, too.