6/29/12

I have a Mets confession to make

OK, I've been sitting on this one a while. I realized it a long time ago, but never wrote anything about it - well, until now. Why? Well, because it makes me a bad Mets fan.

I did something bad. Very, very bad.

You know those senior quotes in yearbooks? Yeah, well mine is totally Mets-ian.

"A little roller up along first, behind the bag. It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!" That shows up under my photo from 2006, when I graduated from high school. But, I made a boo boo.

I attributed that quote to Bob Murphy. Bob Murphy did not say that. Vin Scully did.

Scully was calling the game for NBC, and he's the legend that said those now-legendary words. But, I gave those words to Murphy. It was an oversight on my part. I didn't do any research. I didn't even Google it. I just assumed. No one checked. No one cared.

And now, forever, I am a bad Mets fan for misquoting one of the greatest moments in Mets history.

Oops.