7/10/08

Early Morning Madness: Moises Alou is old and crippled edition

I have one thought running through my head after the Mets and Johan Santana won 5-0 last night, and it has nothing to do with anything that happened in that game:

Moises Alou got hurt again?!?!

This is not a joke.

Alou was removed from his AA start with a pain in his quad. I think Omar Minaya should give Alou just one more shot. He has one more chance to slowly work himself back into shape and attempt to make it on the team. If he goes on the DL just one more time, it's adios muchacho!

Endy Chavez has been filling in admirably, batting well over .350 as a starter. The season started for him so poorly, but he has really turned a corner when given a chance to start. He also fits beautifully in the #2 hole, right behind Jose Reyes.

I don't feel like the Mets have a pressing need to go out and land a everyday outfielder. I wouldn't mind looking, but I'm sure everything will be costly, and the minor leagues isn't exactly filled with great players right now. Everyone the team has down there, I think they would prefer to keep.

If Minaya could land a quality 3/4 outfielder, I think that would be something plausible and helpful, without giving up too much. I have no specific names for you, but there are some fringe players out there who could be had for cheap, and might be able to add a little something to the squad.

Honestly, Moises, it's about time to hang 'em up. Or at least sign with an AL team so you can DH and not have to play the field. Unbelievable. He gets hurt more than me, and if you know me, it's a lot.