7/10/08

Let me clear things up: The outfield is not OK; Endy Chavez has been great; The Mets need someone

I'm seeing a bunch of comments arguing my point I made early this morning, and I feel the need to defend my points.

1. Moises Alou is old, gets hurt way too much, and I am going to hold out no hope of him returning and helping the team for more than 16.2 seconds.

2. Endy Chavez has played very well in Alou's and Ryan Church's absence. He can easily continue to start in the OF with no problem. He has a great glove and is perfect hitting behind Jose Reyes.

3. The Mets still need another OF. I don't think the platoon of Fernando Tatis, Marlon Anderson, Chris Aguila, Trot Nixon, Angel Pagan, etc. etc., will be enough to carry this team into postseason play.

4. I don't want Omar Minaya to sell the farm to pick up trade bait. Matt Holliday would be awesome, but I'm almost 100 percent sure Aaron Heilman, Fernando Martinez, and probably two other top flight minor leaguers would have to head west to land him. I don't feel comfortable watching all that young talent leave the already depleted farm system.

Yes, the Mets need another outfielder. Yes, Minaya will probably have to give up a blue chip prospect to land that guy. Yes, I'm confident that the guy he lands will help this team through the season.

So that's that. Thoughts??