3/5/09

'The Anti-Shea'

Great article in the New York Times today by Ken Belson and Richard Sandomir. They were given an in-depth tour of the new stadium by Jeff Wilpon on Wednesday, and they give probably the most thorough explanation of Citi Field I've read so far.

The seats throughout the stadium are angled toward the center of the infield, reducing the need for fans, particularly on the field level, to crane their necks toward home plate.

Sitting in their seats, few fans will see the chop shops in Willets Point, the cars roaring past on the Van Wyck Expressway, the subway yards to the south or the U-Haul sign. They will still get a crystal-clear view of the planes on their final approach to La Guardia Airport. Some things never change.
No U-Haul sign?? I'm bummed.

Honestly, I'm very excited for the new ballpark. I'm not sure if it's the novelty of a new place to explore or trying to shake off the last two years of dissapointment, but I can't wait to see Citi Field with my own eyes.

Heck, why else would I buy tickets to a college baseball game? I doubt that 90 percent of the people attending that game will have any idea what the score is. They'll just be wandering and exploring the new park.