8/25/08

John Maine to the DL; Likely done for season

Sometimes, when you speak, people listen.

Obviously, the Mets didn't read my post this morning and decide to listen to me, but this is a good move for the team and John Maine.

Maine will hit the DL with a bone spur in his shoulder, and may miss the rest of the year. He is already scheduled to have surgery in the offseason, so this is a good idea all around. Yes, I think the staff is going to miss him, but I think they will be able to patch together his starts down the stretch.

After that, if the Mets make the playoffs, they can run with a four man rotation without a problem.

Smart move by the Mets. It seems they've learned to be very cautious with injuries since Ryan Church's concussions.

Update, 4:59 pm: Tejesh, from Mets Prospect Hub, relayed some info on Maine. According to him, Omar Minaya said Maine is not necessarily shut down for the season.

Now that's just silly to me. When are you going to bring him back, the playoffs? No way would I ever bring a guy off the DL to work in the playoffs, unless he looked completely dominant in any "rehab" assignment.