10/19/08

Game 7 against the Red Sox

The Tampa Bay Rays dropped another game to the Boston Red Sox last night, and the teams will head to Game 7 of the ALCS to decide who gets to play the Phillies in the World Series.

That got me thinking, and thanks to the wonders of the internet, I found what I was looking for. Oct. 27, 1986. The Boston Red Sox at the New York Mets. Game 7 of the World Series.

Here's the box score and play-by-play of that game.

Now, I was not alive for this, as I was born two years later, but I thought I knew as much about the series as I could. I was wrong.

I had no idea Jesse Orosco had an RBI single in the bottom of the eighth inning.

Orosco came in for the bottom of the eighth after Roger McDowell allowed two runs to score. Orosco stranded a runner on second while recording three consecutive outs.

He had to hit in the bottom of the eigth to stay in for the ninth inning, as his spot in the order came up fifth. He singled to center field, driving in Ray Knight.

Interesting. Learn something new every day.

(Go Rays.)