10/19/08

He-Lowe again, Derek?

Another 180-degree turn in the Derek Lowe sweepstakes.

On Wednesday, I linked to a Ken Rosenthal column saying that free-agent-to-be, Derek Lowe, was against playing on the East Coast.

Rosenthal rebuked his own statement today.
In a recent item, I started that the Yankees shouldn't be confident of landing right-hander Derek Lowe in free agency, saying that some rival clubs believe that Lowe wants to stay on the west coast. Lowe told me that my information was wrong, that he actually wanted to go east. He backed up that remark by telling the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo that the Red Sox were his first choice.
So, there is still hope for the Mets too, I guess.

It all depends if the Mets want to re-sign Oliver Perez, or let him go and seek an outside source.