10/20/08

Off Topic: Go Rays; The end of a dynasty

A terrific Game 7. Close game throughout, sprinkled with opportunities and clutch performances in key spots. Can't ask for much more than that.

I had a rooting interest, and it actually panned out. I was pulling for the Tampa Bay Rays. I said in a previous post that I miss "Uncle" Cliff Floyd, and I was very happy to see him on the top of the pile as David Price notched his four-out save to propel the Rays into the World Series.

This team is chock-full of great stories, and I couldn't be happier for them. From Floyd (at least for me), to Rocco Baldelli, to Scott Kazmir, and even Price, the Rays played great baseball all year, and were strong enough to take down the defending World Series champs, and live to play another day.

As if I didn't want them to win before, now I'm 110 percent in the Rays camp. I would love to see them beat the snot out of the Philadelphia Phillies. I think the layoff between the NLCS and WS is going to hurt the Phills, but I'm sure they'll be able to put up a fight.

Go Tampa Go!

And on to point number two: Last night, we watched the mighty fall. They did not go down easy, but they did bow out eventually. Could the Boston sports dynasty be coming to an end?

I used to respect Boston. The long-suffering fans and the classy, hard-nosed teams were always one of my favorites to watch and secretly pull for. Anything to anger a Yankee fan, really. But over the past few months, my mini-allegiance from Boston has eroded, and a new disgust has nestled in it's place.

It all started with the 2007 World Series.

Watching the Red Sox win the WS really had no effect on me. I was still reeling from the collapse of the Mets. Anyway, when the Sox won, a person who will remain nameless, who is a big Sox fan was running around screaming "It's been three long years!"

Three long years?? Give me a break. Try never seeing a championship in your lifetime. Try only being able to see your team win on VHS or SNY re-runs. Try watching your team come within outs of the '06 WS. Try watching your team fall flat on it's face and miss the '07 playoffs. And from there, I knew that Boston fans were starting to get spoiled.

Don't get me wrong. I know not every single Boston fan is as boisterous or as greedy as this one, but after experiencing life around more and more Sox/Pats/Celts fans, I think this is the greater majority.

It didn't end there. Cue up Super Bowl 42.

My New York Football Giants taking on the perfect New England Patriots. We all know how that turned out.

It has taken up until yesterday night for me to hear one Patriots fan say to me, "The Giants just played a better game. They deserved to win." I was floored. To this point in time, all I had heard was that the Giants "got lucky" or were the benefactors of "BS calls."

Even when the Giants play now, all they do is "get lucky," according to some fans.

But last night, was some sweet revenge, even if it was a dish best served by the Rays. With the Red Sox losing on Sunday night, and the Patriots poised to take on a mediocre Denver Broncos team, could this be the beginning of the end for Boston sports? Sure, the Celtics look to be amazing again, but watch out for those New York Knicks.

Yeah, right.

Go Rays.