6/19/09

Mike Pelfrey to name his son ‘Chase’

This nugget is just too good to pass up.

The doctors have told the first-time parents their child will be a boy -- but only after they had been told a girl was on the way. Pelfrey called Angela from the clubhouse in Spring Training. She told him, "We're gonna have a girl." Pelfrey was surprised.

"I had my mind set on having a boy," Pelfrey said. "But I made the adjustment. I started thinking it would be cool to have a little girl.

"Then [five months into Angela's pregnancy] I was all for it, so when they said, 'No, it's a boy,' it was a little disappointing. I had my mindset on having a girl. But I got over that, too. Now I just want a healthy baby."

The chosen name for the boy is Chase -- as in Utley, but baby Pelfrey won't be named after the Phillies' second baseman. It was suggested to the father-to-be, his son could be named after the pennant chase. And he liked that idea.

I love it.