4/29/08

What's wrong with the outfield?

I have another rant today...

I continue to hear more and more about the Mets wanting to trade for Xavier Nady to sure up the Mets outfield.

Um...why?

What is wrong with the outfield? Has Angel Pagan already fallen so far out of favor with Mets fans since he won the game over the Phillies in the 12th inning? Has the Angel Wave already run it's course in New York?

With Ryan Church surprising Mets fans everywhere, though I must toot my own horn here and say I've been supporting him from the start, and Carlos Beltran has been his usual self so far. With Pagan and Endy Chavez splitting time waiting for Moises Alou to come back, which as you all must know might be a while, have done a decent job so far.

They haven't visibly lost the Mets any games, so theres no need to get on them for that, and Pagan has already had a game winning hit, over the Phillies no less, so what's the need to deplete the already thin minor leagues or trade away a bullpen arm for Nady?

First base, that's why.

Before Sunday's game, I wouldn't have been surprised if Carlos Delgado wasn't run out of town within a few days. Curtain call or no curtain call, he seems to have bought himself a few games. I'd much rather see an internal guy come up from the minors or have a hungry player in the AAA take a few reps at first to see if they can work there, if need be.

Right now, I want the Mets to stick with Delgado. Talk to me in 30 games, and if he's still struggling, I'll probably be singing a different tune.